Pumco Interiors - Harbor Springs Michigan
  Pumco Interiors History
Pumco Interiors - Petoskey Michigan

Pumco History

1939 Northern Mattress Company is founded by Edward A. Behan. The company produces durable handmade cotton batting mattresses.
1945 The business is sold to Jim Behan, Edward's brother.
1950 Northern Mattress Company moves to 204 Mitchell Street in downtown Petoskey. They provide re-upholstery, custom drapery, flooring and the infamous Hotel / Motel mattress.
1955 The name is changed to Petoskey Upholstery & Mattress Company. It is quickly abbreviated by delivery truck drivers as P.U.M.C.O.
1958 Jim Behan adds another location at 1100 Bay View Road, an in-stock furniture showroom.
1964 By 1964 there are 4 Pumco locations. 406 Bay Street is in-stock and specialty flooring. 1100 Bay View Road is in-stock furniture. 204 Mitchell Street remains upholstery, drapery and mattresses.
1972 The Division Street location is remodeled to include both warehouse and retail showroom.
1985 The Division Street location catches fire and is destroyed. Tom Behan Sr., having worked at Pumco his entire life, purchases the business from his father's estate. He consolidates operations into a full service furniture, flooring and interior design showroom at 1840 M-119 Harbor Petoskey Road (next to the Brewery building).
1996 Tom & Mary Behan purchase the Historic Old-Brewery Building. They restore the interior and exterior of the building to preserve its history.
1997 Pumco joins Carpet One – an elite flooring cooperative of over 1,000 stores worldwide.
2012 Tom & Mary Behan’s son Tom II, who was raised in the family trade, restructures and relocates Pumco Interiors to its new centralized showroom & warehouse location at 2036 M-119 – between Harbor Springs and Petoskey.
  Copyright 2005 Pumco Interiors